The Buckhead Cascade Chapter of the Links, Inc. will host a public forum and luncheon to address human trafficking in our community on Saturday, November 10 at 11:30am at the Piedmont Driving Club.
While human trafficking has been identified as the fastest-growing criminal industry in the world, Atlanta has been identified as a major transportation hub for trafficking young women and one of 14 U.S. cities with the highest levels of sex trafficking of children.
The forum, moderated by former Atlanta Mayor and Link member Shirley Franklin, will address the tragedy of modern day slavery through human trafficking which afflicts more than 20 million people around the world.
In response to the recent Obama Administration announcement of several new initiatives aimed at ending trafficking nationwide, the forum will engage the community in a dialogue around eradicating sex trafficking of children in Atlanta and address much-needed efforts to help the survivors.
Forum panelists include:
- Lisa Williams, Founder/Director, Living Water for Girls
- Deborah Richardson, EVP, National Center for Human & Civil Rights
- Nekia Hackworth, Asst. US Attorney, Northern District of GA, Criminal Division
- Nina R. Hickson, former Fulton County Juvenile Court Judge
- Former Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin, Moderator
Original Article: http://buckhead.patch.com/announcements/former-atlanta-mayor-shirley-franklin-to-moderate-human-trafficking-forum